Tritina #2 (ekphrastic poetry challenge)





Up here, behind the orchard, all is green
And lovely as I visit for a spell,
Cursing the sun and all its brilliant lies.

How dare the sun shine bright as my love lies
Interred beneath this silent grassy green?
An earth-bound passion held us in its spell.

I never thought that such a love could spell
Our doom. But Jake did not believe my lies.
Deep scarlet drenched a gown of olive green.

Stone letters, mossy green, spell “here lies Anne.”





Writing prompt: Ekphrastic poetry (describe a work of visual art) 

Comments

  1. Her love and longing is embedded in deep poetry .

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The sun and all its brilliant lines" is a dazzling turn of phrase. I also liked the word play of "love lies" and "lovelies." I wasn't sure what to read into the Jake line. Is the poem referencing a book I'm not aware of? Who are Jake and Anne to the narrator? The tritina form didn't get in the way of the poem at all; that's the sign of a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done. I love how you depicted the lovers’ doom in contrast to the beautiful surroundings. Also, you always have the perfect image to go with your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this: Cursing the sun and all its brilliant lies. <--brilliant indeed

    the poem told such a compelling story with so few words. The repetition of love and lies works so well that I forgot it was a tritina. The only part that I didn't quite get was the line about Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments! I deliberately left it ambiguous who Jake was, except somebody angry about the narrator's relationship with Anne. I wondered whether I should be more specific and now I know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exorcism (microfiction)

How to Survive a Surprise Day of Pandemic Insanity

Are Online Friends Real Friends?